I retired from a professorship at Helsinki University of Technology (now Aalto University) on January 1st, 2009 in the age of 63. Before TKK I was a professor in Electric Energy Systems at Tampere University of Technology (also in Finland) from 1976 to 1997. I also have work experience from three electricity distribution companies and served until spring 2013 as expert member of Market Court (Finland) in electricity market cases.
My main professional contributions are obviously:
- Pioneering electricity distribution as a field of university education and research
- Writing and co-authoring textbooks
- Lecturing in numerous tutorials and international courses worldwide
- Active in a number of international committees and working groups since 1973
- Revitalizing power systems activities at TKK (now Aalto University)
- Benchmarking and evaluation of research and education in electrical engineering